It is said the bonding process starts when the baby is developing in the womb. How we think about the baby, talk to the baby, and even sing to the baby. The more relaxed and peaceful the parents are the more peaceful the baby will be.
Healthy bonding and attachment is developed when the child is experiencing the following, irrespective of the age of the child:
- When we care for our child in a loving caring manner in which the child feels safe, the child senses that he/she is being looked after;
- When we take care of the needs of our child with affection and respond positive to the child’s interaction, our child knows she/he is lovable;
- When we also have fun and playful interaction with our child, our child knows that he/she is fun to be with and are also able to be close to others and interact approporiately;
- As our child develops from birth we give our child challenges, and the child knows that the parent believe in their ability to grow and develop;
- We assist our child to explore the environment, while we set limits and make sure the environment;
- As our child develop we guide, support and encourage our child’s efforts to achieve developmental goals like toilet training, eating, dressing, climbing etc;
- Our child also experience stress at different stages of development, and we are close by and available to help with dealing with as stressful situation.
HOW DOES MY CHILDS BEHAVIOUR TELL ME THAT WE HAVE A HEALTHY BOND?
- My child wants to be close to me and reacts positively to me;
- My child accepts realistic limitations and boundaries set by myself;
- My child is inquisitive and explores the environment and asks questions for clarification;
- My child likes to talk with me;
- My child mostly has a happy disposition and is friendly and playfull;
- My child is able to deal with stressfull situations and reach out to me for comfort and support.