Our History

12 August 1912
12 August 1912

Branch of the Children’s Aid Society

A meeting was held at Magistrates court under the chairmanship of Mr. J Young. The aim was to discuss the possibility of a local branch of the “Children’s Aid Society” in Germiston. Rev Skey proposed and Rev. Scott seconded the proposal and the branch of the Children’s Aid Society was established in Germiston. Initially, all meetings were held in the Mayors parlour as the Mayor was always part of the committee.
1924
1924

The organisation becomes affiliated to the National Council for Child Welfare.

1926
1926

Our Children’s day is started.

1939
1939

Germiston “Children’s Aid and Benevolent Society”

Children’s Aid Society and Germiston Benevolent Society merged and formed the Germiston “Children’s Aid and Benevolent Society”. All services were rendered by volunteers. 

1945
1945
The first social worker was appointed.
1958
1958

Germiston and District Child Welfare Society

The name changes to Germiston and District Child Welfare Society
1961
1961

The second Social Worker is appointed.

1965
1965

First Property

We relocated to our first owned property in a house at no 17 Long street. Thanks to a legacy left for the purposes of establishing an office for the organisation. The caseload was 37 annually in the early stages of the organisation.

1967
1967

The third Social Worker is appointed.

December 1965
December 1965

Safe Care Facility

The first deposit was made into a savings account for the establishment of a temporary safe care facility.

16 June 1969
16 June 1969

The Jane Christophers Memorial Home

The Constitution for the Jane Christophers Memorial Home was signed and in 1970 the Jane Christophers Memorial Home is established as temporary relief accommodation for women and children in distress named after Mrs. Jane Christopher, former chairperson of the organization that died in a road accident in 1965. The home was the realization of her dream.

October 1973
October 1973

Indian Sub-committee

An Indian sub-committee started by the organization.
1 November 1973
1 November 1973
Saw the opening of a home for unwed mothers in Hazeldene accommodating 16 mothers at a time. Both Jane Christophers Memorial Home and the home for unwed mothers had to be closed due to financial constraints and Department of Social Welfare and Pensions at the time refusing to register the facilities as children’s homes as there were enough in the Germiston and surrounding areas.
1974
1974
The first Colored social worker is employed – Monica Adolph.
August 1977
August 1977

The name changes to Germiston Society for Child and Family Welfare.

August 1981
August 1981

We moved into our current premises at 26 & 28 Kinross street, Germiston.

1986
1986
The first Social Auxiliary worker is appointed.
7 August 1991
7 August 1991

Our name changes to Greater Germiston Society for Child and Family Welfare.

8 August 2015
8 August 2015

Child Welfare Germiston

The Board of Management proposes and approves the name change which is effected with the NPO Directorate of the Department of Social Development.  CHILD WELFARE GERMISTON. Edenvale Child Welfare were also part of the organization although run by a sub-committee for many years before registering as an independent organisation.